November 25, 202010 min read
Written byLiselot Hofman
Imagine. You step into a store, look around and the staff is nowhere to be found. Who can be of service? Where do you pay for your stuff? You will scratch your head and figure there must be something wrong.
By adding a live chat to your website, your customers will not question where to turn to. The real-life shopping experience can be easily simulated online.
But most important- live chat will increase your conversion. And by using live chat greetings, you can lead the conversation to reach your specific conversion goal. I will tell you everything you need to know about greeting messages for your live chat and give you 10 examples of the best live chat greetings.
What is a live chat greeting message?
When a visitor opens the live chat on your website, you can immediately impress using a strong greeting message.
With Trengo, you can easily create a greeting message for your live chat and all of your other communication channels. For example email, Facebook Messenger, andWhatsApp Business.
How can good live chat greetings increase your conversion?
Live chat greetings can increase your conversion by:
- Decreasing your response time
- Being available 24/7
- Collecting valuable leads
- Increasing customer satisfaction
- Improving the overall customer experience
The look and feel of an effective live chat greeting
Before I start off with 15 examples, here are 3 things to keep in mind while writing your live chat greeting message.
It is most important that your customer leaves the live chat satisfied. You can do this by giving the customer clarity on when they will be responded to. Just be specific. I will show you why.
1) We’re open every day on business hours.
2) We’re open on Monday till Friday from 8 AM – 5 PM.
The first greeting is still vague and leaves the customer guessing if they can call on a Tuesday at 6 PM or not.
The second greeting gives the customer clarity and ensures that they will reach out to you and (hopefully) buy your product.
2. Honesty and transparency
All of us know this old proverb, “Honesty is the best policy.” You want your customers to stay customers? Then be honest and transparent. The simple truth that your team has a very busy day, gets your customer’s understanding. Making up excuses doesn’t.
3. A touch of humanity
Imagine it once more. Walking into that store and be welcomed by a robot. Another confusing situation right? When on live chat, customers prefer a human tone of voice that is professional yet informal. Don’t make your automated messages sound like a robot. Give them a human touch.
P.S. The use of emojis comes in handy here 😄
15 best live chat greetings
To be honest, there’s no such thing as ‘the best greeting’. It all depends on the situation that you are in. Therefore, I created a list of live chat greetings for different situations.
Live chat greetings in general situations
Short and friendly greetings are key to starting a good live chat conversation. Chat is an informal way of direct communication. So keep it short and friendly, and of course in line with your company’s identity.
1. “Thank you for your message! We will get back to you within 24 hours. Kind regards, the [your business] Team.“
2. “Hi there. Welcome to [business]. We will get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can check out our help center. With [number] articles, chances are you will already find your answer.”
3. “Hi! Nice to see you here. Were you aware of the 50% discount on all of our shoes? The code is XXXX. Have fun shopping and let me know if you have any further questions.”
The first example is the greeting we use during business hours. We let the customer know that we’re there, and give clear expectations.
Live chat greetings for e-commerce
Live chat is very interesting when it comes to the conversion rate of online customers. For example- I often left a webshop because I was doubting about the right size. A live chat could have helped me to step over the line.
When the customer is still in doubt of the right size:
4. “Hi there. Thanks for shopping at [business name]. If you’re not sure about your size, please check our size table here: [add link to online size table]. Feel free to contact us if you need more help.”
A customer might not know how to finish their payment. In that case, you can use the following greeting message:
5. “Hello! Your order is successfully paid. You will receive an email with all order information.”
In case a customer would like to know more about the shipping costs:
6. “Hi! The shipping costs are €3,95 in Europe. For all other shipping information, we refer to the following page: [add link to shipping page].”
Live chat greetings for customer support
7. “Hi, thanks for your message! Our support team will check your question and forward it to our best-matched support agent. We will get back to you within 24 hours.”
8. “In the meantime, you can check our help center with answers to frequently asked questions here: [add your own link]”
Using live chat greetings like these will lower the working pressure for employees. Besides that, customers like it when they can help themselves out. Especially when they have to wait for a response in live chat.
With Trengo, you can easily create your own help center. Which leaves your customers with answers to frequently asked questions at all times.
Live chat greetings for seasonal activities
Throughout the year, there are several seasonal activities. Whether it is busy because of Christmas or Eastern is just around the corner. You need to inform your customers about these chaotic times. I’ll give you an example:
9. “All we want for Christmas…. is you! I’m glad to have you here. Let me know if you have any questions. It may take a little longer than you are used to, because of all the Christmas wishes we received, but we willmake your wish come true.”
Live chat greetings for special occasions
Apart from seasonal activities, there are special occasions where we can not lay our hands upon. You can inform your customer by using the following greeting:
10. “Hi, good to have you here. How can I help you? Please be aware that we may answer a little less fast than usual in these unprecedented times.🙏”
Live chat greetings for out-of-office usage
When your customers message you after business hours, will you leave them hanging till the next morning? Not with a live chat.
11. “Thanks for your message. We are currently closed, but we will get back to you first thing tomorrow morning.
For more information, please check our website: www.trengo.com.”
Reply with your business hours
At Trengo, we use the following out of office greeting:
12. “Thanks for contacting Trengo!
We’d love to help, but we’re currently closed 🕦 (See our schedule at trengo.com/businesshours). We’ll come back to you the next working day ⏰.
In the meantime, did you know we have a Help Center at help.trengo.com that answers our most frequently asked questions? Perhaps you’ll find your answer without the help of our agents 😱.
The Trengo team”
With this greeting, we again incorporate our help center and share our business hours so customers know when to reach us.
Live chat greetings for collecting leads
By using live chat, you can convert visitors into leads. How to do that? Ask the potential customer to share their contact information and get back to them as soon as possible.
13. “Hi! Thanks for your message. Please leave your name and email address, and our sales agent will contact you within 24 hours.”
Even after closing time, you can use live chat greetings to collect leads. This is how we do it:
14. “Hello there! We are currently closed and therefore not able to respond to your message. Please leave your name and email address, and we will get back to you within 24 hours. Team Trengo”
It is also possible to automatically greet your visitor – for example – while they are checking out your prices.
15. “Hi there. I see you’re looking at our prices 👀. Please leave your name and email address if you would like us to help you find the right subscription for your business.”
Use live chat greetings for conversion
With Trengo, the next-generation inbox, you can add a live chat to your website and increase your conversion. The inbox also allows you to receive live chat messages together with all your other channels, create your own help center, and use automation tools.
Are you ready to give your customers a warm welcome? Get your free trial at Trengo and use live chat greetings for conversion.
Written by Liselot Hofman